Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I've still got miles to go

There are certain things I remember, certain things which are always vivid... but the brightest and most crisp are those that always involved you.




I'm hanging in there. Injuries, loneliness, faltering steps... dropping GPA and all aside. I had a good weekend this past one.. Well, perhaps, a good Saturday. It began with a meet in Ripon which I feel I did well at... my legs feel good and strong- despite the damage I am trying my best to ignore; the only thing that kicked my ass at that course was the hill at the start. Otherwise, I ran well, I placed third on my team and placed around 30th overall, just missing getting a meet shirt ( very sad). I proceeded to some ancestry discovering and ultimately to Green Bay where I witnessed an exceptional concert... Exceptional to me; perhaps not quite to those connoisseurs of music in the audience today. Anyway.. I didn't particularly care for Jewel nor Ingrid Michaelson (they intensified my headache) but I didn't mind M. Ward, and definitely adored Ben Folds even though it had been quite some time since I had listenedto his work. His band's performance was surprisingly explosive for the mellowness of some of his work, but of course live shows always intensify the instrumental.

Last but not least was Death Cab for Cutie, who also exploded on stage in the face of their mellow melodies. They played right about an hour (beginning with Bixby Canyon Bridge, the first song off of their latest disc) before quitting the stage. Cheers brought them back and they played three - THREE - songs for their encore. This made me unbelievably happy, especially when I heard the beginning notes of their final song: Transatlanticism.

I wish I had more time to write but as it is I got no homework done tonight and even less progress in any other areas of life besides exceeding pointlessness.

On a funny note, a little wooden sign Nichol had hung this weekend blew off the balcony in the torrid winds and nearly nailed a car 12 stories below. The funniest thing I've ever seen.

1 comment:

Nichol said...

That was hilarious. I don't even know what to do about that- I had my hands full when I came back just now so I didn't go pick it up yet.