Today I was part of, and am witness of, one of the greatest things this nation has ever accomplished. I didn't think it was possible, I honestly didn't, not with all of the racist biggots out there... but Forty years after MLK was fighting for equal rights, America has elected its first black president.
I can't believe it. I was sitting in a little box at a library trying to work on an epically pointless lab project for my zoology class, with three classmates. All we could do was continuously check the polls, check the results. It was announced that Obama won, and we couldn't believe it.
I was nervous all day, completely sick with worry, the kind where I couldn't even eat.
THIS IS HISTORY. THIS IS ALL I CARE ABOUT. Can you fucking believe it?
As soon as I found out it was possible for me to make it home to watch Barack's speech, I packed up and left and practically sprinted home-- as much as I could with my backpack that weighed at lest 15 pounds with laptop, etc.
Outside the world was exploding... people were driving all over just honking horns and screaming out windows.
I'm sitting here now and people are running up and down state st banging pots and pans and some even have drums they are biking around wiht, banging on them. People are walking up and down State in huge packs and everyone is on fire.
I'm just not sure what to say. I think of people like my grandmother, or the 106-year old lady Barack talked about tonight and realyl, think of all they have experienced. Think about 80 years ago, how America was then and how it is now, and how you can live through all of that and see THIS happen. This is history. I've always wondered what events would define my life, how things would build up. How my grandma doesn't talk about WWII like it was that defining but how historians look at these things.. Oh I am about to just lose it. I almost cried walking home just from people driving by honking horns and everything, how crazy everyone is and everything.
I was so excited when I heard all of the chanting and stuff that I tried running onto my balcony... I forgot the screen was closed so I knee-ed a big hole in it. and almost fell through.. its not that big of a hole actually buut umm yeah I hope I dont have to pay to fix it. Going to have to get some of that packing tape or something
I am absolutely beside myself to every degree. I have no idea what to do about hoe exuberant I am, and NIRCA nationals is this weekend.. we leave Thursday... I have a test tomorrow that I will not be able to focus on at all.. I haven't even studied for it, actually. I'm living in a haze and everything is crazy. I don't even know right now but I am just beside myself.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment