Thursday, January 15, 2009

Patterns in the static; they start to make sense the longer I'm at it

The frozen world pauses; the smoke and steam blowing from chimneys below me stutters across the landscape under the frosty, pale moonlight. So, too, does everything. People and cars inch their way along the streets. We are still but we are changing.

I like watching the world from high up; it is much nicer that way.

Today in the new U Square building, I checked out the food court for the first time. It is a pretty neat little place and you can watch traffic on University Ave. Brittany F. and I were sitting there for only about 20 minutes and in that span of time, four cars and one bus ran the light right outside of the building. Maybe because its new, maybe people don't recognize it as an intersection, but it was unbelieveable; but entertaining, no less!

The best one was a car that absolutely blazed through, had no clue, and was about to nail like five people who were running across the street. He saw them, appeared to have an interest in stopping but once they got out of his lane he kept going. The light had been red for some time when this happened.

So beside that I've found the new building continuously interesting because of the various maze-like ways you can get from business to business in the building without going outside. Exceptionally useful for frigid times like these (-30 with windchill).

I've decided people don't understand language. Suppose I say, "[that action you performed] is fucked in the head." regarding a certain insane thing one person has just done for another. I am therefore referring to the action, not to the person itself. Person does not understand and is upset that I have apparently called THEM fucked in the head. I explain; they don't understand. Really? You would have to something pretty inanely idiotic for me to flat out call you fucked in the head.

Granted, an action performed by a person is in some way connected to the person but is not a full representation of the person. For example, I slammed the door in someone's face rather than holding it open for them. This is not something I feel good about nor something I often do, but it was an action I performed. I feel bad about the action and it is not representative of what I would often do. Therefore, calling the action mean or stupid is reasonable; assuming that I am mean or stupid simply because one action I performed was mean or stupid, is not entirely reasonable. I believe it is all dependent on the consistency of character.

Well that was extremely tangential.. What I thought I would do was revisit a post I wrote towards the end of break [here] since it represented a few things that school was preventing me from doing or enjoying, and I got the change to do some of them over break.. This might be a dumb idea. I actually don't care. haha.

-reading things I want to read. Finally, I did!
-running as much as I need to to be ready for indoor. Actually didn't get to this. Imagine that; I'm still a lazy bum!
-making Christmas cookies with my grandma I luckily was still able to do this because my grandma is better at procrastinating than I am.
-watching movies to my heart's content Success!
-finding someone to love. Not quite. I got into a really interesting situation but I think it will stay as it is & won't become anything more. So, that is the word :P
-staying up-to-date with most of my friends I saw several people I rarely see anymore; that was very nice. Working with Janna has also helped us keep up a friendship that waned for a year or two- so that has been really great as well.
-boozing When JG is in town, you know what's up.
-staying up-to-date with Colbert... I caught up :)
-ability to breathe. I'm not sure that that improved at all. Maybe a little. After a couple weeks of forgetting about school.
-finishing my photograph project I've been trying.. its taking a very long time, though.
-various genealogical things of importance long stories short: yes.
-sledding I didn't get the chance to.
-finding sweet new music to explore and love. I unfortunately didn't have much time for this, but it helps when a couple random people tell me about some cool new stuff to check out, which did occur.
-putting my books away and pretending school doesn't exist. Definitely occurred.
-staring at the beautiful view from my balcony This also was a common occurrence :)
-painting or drawing, just creating something I didn't have the time for this either. I actually just came up with an idea for a painting; I've been saving my long canvas for something like this and finally came up with a decent idea. Jeremy was encouraging me to try working on it still before break ends, even though I wouldn't be able to get much done in the few days I have left. I might try. I really want to.
-keeping my wilting Poinsettias alive That was unsuccessful. No matter what I did for them, they were goners. Didn't even make it to Christmas.
-working enough that I can afford all the crap I keep thinking I can buy I worked a considerable amount... maybe a little too much. Oh well.
-living that finally was allowed to happen. I swear school just eats my soul. It took a while to dig out.

Other things I managed to do? Waste time; throw time around; run around downtown with bubble wands as we watched people stare in bewilderment. I watched every episode of the Office, because I hadn't ever watched it before but had heard a lot about it.

I might as well stop rambling.

No comments: